Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So whats new...

Well there's at least one or two things, so lets start with the one that I can remember easiest (I planned on writing this 2 days ago but kept forgetting or being too busy.)

Cars VS Motorbikes:
So I'm 18 now, and I still don't have any form of license for motorized transportation. This limits me to an extent on what social gatherings I can partake in, although most of the ones I would be going to via car/bike would involve at least a little bit of alcohol, stopping me from driving afterward anyway. So I feel I should really get a move on and just get one.

But that begs the question, do I want a Car or a Motorbike license?
Right now, I want a motorbike license. To me, Motorbikes are simply so much better than cars for many reasons.
1. Far lower fuel costs
2. Bikes are generally cheaper as well
3. They aren't giant 10 ton death machines (don't know about the 10 ton bit, but anyway.)
4. Bikes are far more aesthetically pleasing to me.
There are of course a few plus-sides to having a Car instead:
1. Cars are good for moving people/gear/shopping around. A lot of people seem very reluctant to get on the back of a motorbike as opposed to getting in the passenger seat of a car.
2. Cars are safer. (From what I hear from my friend who has driven a moped and a car, he's nearly been run off the road many times from crazy car drivers paying no attention to him while hes on the moped.)
3. You don't need to wear a suit and helmet to drive a car. (I don't see the problem with this though...)

The way I see it, cars are big, bulky, and generally a sink-hole as far as your income goes. Admittedly, I've only done 3 lessons of car driving, but I did get the car into 3rd gear and drive it around my neighborhood a bit (at night-time) but I just feel that I'm never ever going to get the hang of it. I'd much rather move onto the motorbike now which I'm far more enthused about learning but my parents are absolutely adamant that either I learn to drive a car first, or I buy a motorbike myself. Maybe I should save for a bike, but in the meantime I've decided to try and do a car lesson every day or two from now on til I can get the hang of it, if I'm still no good in about a month, I'm putting my case for a motorbike forwards again, as not having transportation is really starting to get silly.

The next topic is: My work situation.
So I've been working at McDonald's up until now, doing all the service stuff except taking Drive-thru orders as it absolutely scares the shit out of me (I honestly had another go yesterday and just could not cope), and it has been alright but I'd like to move up to something that pays better with more convenient hours if possible.

Well, looks like maybe I've found my golden opportunity. When I had drinks in the city with a good mate of mine at the bar I mentioned 1 or 2 posts ago, the subject of my work came up with the bartenders. When I told them where I work, they told me that they were looking for someone to fill the "bar-back" role, which basically involves a lot of the grunt work, cleaning stuff, re-stocking supplies etc. I figured Its actually a great opportunity being so close to my college in the city, and the hours they'd potentially want me to work would all be afternoon-evening shifts (and once my course is done my weekday mornings free up too,) and working in a bar is actually something that I remember thinking to myself that I'd love to try it someday. So even if I'm not actually serving drinks or the rest of it, I still have the chance to work my way up to that point by simply doing low-rung jobs first.

It's not a certainty I'll get hired of course, it still has to go through the bar owner (who is a pretty cool guy), however I may have scored points by today checking up with him on the status of the job, seeing if the position was still open. He asked me to put my number down on a slip of paper again (I'd already handed my resume in on Monday,) so I think that may be a positive sign that perhaps he is pleased at my keen attitude. We'll have to wait and see, updates will be posted.

The third topic of tonight (I should wrap this up soon, I need to get some sleep): Girls.

Or more specifically, one girl. She's one of my co-workers at McDonald's, and she has definitely caught my eye. In a nutshell, that's because:
1. She has very similar musical tastes (barely anyone I know likes Drum'n'Bass/Electro)
2. She appears to like video games, although I could be off on that one.
3. She seems to be a nice person.
4. She's cute :3 .
So I'd definitely like to get to know her better. It's not everyday I meet girls like her. The only downside (so far) is that she's only 17 and won't be 18 for another year, so that rules out 18+ music gigs, bars, clubs, and other such events that I could ask her to accompany me to. Shouldn't be a big deal though.

However I feel insecure about this for 2 reasons:
1. I'm rather girl shy :S . I've never been on a date before, much less had a relationship with someone. I feel that this is partly due to my fear of rejection, possibly spawning from all the embarrassment I received at the hands of girls during my early years of high-school. It's probably also my own fault for simply being so hesitant all the time about asking girls out or simply trying to talk to them. I'd like to move past all that as soon as possible so I can stop feeling the way I do when my mind passes over these pathetic thoughts.
2. I don't have a car or motorbike, another point on why I should be working towards car or bike license is so that I can actually take girls places and whatnot. I feel as though even if I were to date her, she'd decide to stop the moment she finds out I don't have any form of license. I don't know if this is the case or not but it really feels that way when I think about it right now.

I've talked to a couple of people about it though. The bartender today reckons I should just go for it and see what happens (which is probably the best attitude to have in this situation). I was also told by other people that "Not having a license shouldn't stop you asking her out." And finally, I was told that I should "just ask her man." My final source of advice suggested I ask her if she'd like to see a movie with me, which seems like a decent idea.

I think I just have to stop thinking about it so much and just do it when I get the chance (also a suggestion from my advisers.) If she turns me down it should be no big deal really, but at the same time I sort of do feel that its a big deal as it's hard for me to meet girls that I find interesting right off the bat, and who have similar interests to myself.

Oh well, all I can do is try, or I'll be asking myself forever "what if?"

I think that is all for now, I'll be posting updates as I go along with each of these topics, as well as more that I remember to blog about as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment