Monday, April 5, 2010

It's been a while...

Haven't even looked at my blog for about a month, maybe more, so I figure I should maybe finally make a new post so I can update a few things for whoever actually reads this.

Life has been OK. Not great, not bad, just OK.

I can't really complain either because I'm being fully supported by my parents at the moment. I quit my fast food job which my parents weren't pleased about because now I'm not earning any money for myself, but I hated it there, surrounded by kids, shit hours, terrible pay (pretty much minimum wage) and just plain boring. I miss having money but I do not miss the job at all.

I'm not really hanging out with anyone at the moment either, but this doesn't necessarily make me sad. I'm kinda enjoying being a shut-in but it would be nice to hang out with people once in a while. I haven't made any new nearby friends in ages.

My 3D projects were going ok for a while but then I just sorta lost interest this past week. I've been playing the new Battlefield: Bad Company 2 game non-stop since last Monday. It's just such a good game! From the sound, to the guns, to the vehicles, to the fact that all projectiles are affected by gravity and travel time (this is especially important for snipers, your bullet doesn't just instantly hit a target 500 meters away!), to the fast paced action, to the awesome graphics, to the team-based gameplay, it is so much win rolled into one 80 dollar purchase! I'm loving playing as a Assault-Shotgun class where I just run around like a madman tearing people apart with my Neostead 2000. I'll record a video of some gameplay eventually and chuck it on youtube so people can see it in action, because this game really deserves to have more copies sold than Modern Warfare 2. I truly believe it is better in pretty much every way. One of my online friends has been bugging me to play MW2 lately but I just hate it now.

I did apply for a range of 3D games jobs however. Unfortunately, no one is looking for 3D artists right now so I can't actually get work in the games industry right now. I'm not sure if I wanna settle for an architecture job, as I can see that getting old really quickly. I guess I'll just keep trying to do my own thing and promote myself. The main way I'm gonna do that is messing around with the Source games engine by Valve, as I have learnt how to make my own custom props for it and have started learning how to build my own Team Fortress 2 maps so it should be fun once I stop playing BFBC2 and start actually doing stuff again...

Also I never ended up asking that girl out at Mcdonalds. She seemed to have found someone anyway though I'm not certain. I'm going to make another post entirely about girls soonish (maybe I should start saying women instead of girls /shrug).

Haven't made any progress on earning my driving license either, though it doesn't bother me really. It bothers everyone around me more than it bothers me.

So thats about it as far as a big update goes. Things are going alright, but I would like them to be going better. Here's what I want to do with myself:

1) Get into the habit of spending a few hours a day (at least) working on 3D projects so I can improve my skills and achieve my goal of becoming one of the best modelers and texture artists in the world for games. It won't be easy to achieve that but if I don't practice then my chances go from low to zero.

2) Find a new part-time job: I want to work at somewhere that sells video-games as I have a lot of knowledge on video games and would actually find my job interesting. Then I can have money to spend on things.

I think thats actually all I need to do. From working on my 3D stuff I'll be more likely to land a 3D job and I'll have a lot more stuff to show off to people. Once I have money from a part-time job (or even a 3D job if I land one) I'll be able to do things like get a gym membership/join a sports club, start learning the saxophone, and go back to having a drinks night at the Greenhouse bar.

I'm surprised I boiled it down that easily. It felt overwhelming when I thought about it yesterday but its as simple as practice your skill-set and find a part-time job.

I'm glad I made this post. Now to make a post about girls/women/that other gender (lol)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with all your job hunting endeavors. An unfortunate fact of life is that the shitty jobs vastly outnumber the good jobs. There's ditchdigging, toilet cleaning, recovering dead bodies, holding those signs out in front of pizza shops, etc. LOL. I originally wanted to be an artist but now I've ended up as a writer. I just couldn’t get myself motivated to draw every day. I guess it helps to have a "Plan B."

    ReplyDelete